Thursday, February 23, 2006

Let's Try This Again

OK! I'm serious this time folks! I need suggestions for diversion this weekend. I thought I'd give you a one-day heads up this time.

I am realizing that I have a tendency to laugh off or be cynical about things that aren't that easy to talk about, or at least about things that you don't want to say because you don't want to hurt someone's feelings. So, instead of joking about being drained, approaching burn out, and reaching my limits on crisis management, I'll just say it:

"I'm drained, approaching burn out, and reaching my limits on crisis management." There. No giggles, no LOLs, no apologies.

And I say it with conflicting sentiment. I love the work that I do and am super-passionate about the issue of sexual assault, particularly child sexual abuse. I adore and am so grateful for the circles of wonderful people who have shared their stories and are sharing their lives with me. I am undone by your pain and your courage to share, grieve and try to move forward. And, I am tired. I MUST learn to do self-care much more intentionally or I will crash and burn in this field in no time. I've got to get some better boundaries around this issue and particularly around "saving the world" in general. I need some help with this! Heeeeeeeelllllpppp!!!!

The funny thing is that the church has taught us that bad boundaries and not being willing to sacrifice every drop of yourself for someone else is selfish and unChrist-like. That's foolishness. Jesus had awesome boundaries. Don't you remember the scriptures where he was like, "See ya! I'm out!" Check your King James carefully...It may have gotten lost in translation.

Well, I'm not saying, "I'm out!" Just, "I need to GO out!" I need ideas. I've been cooped up in church trying to be the perfect pastor's wife (translation: no life of my own) for 9 years. The pump needs some priming. I love salsa, but lack both daring and capable friends and dance partners. To be honest, I couldn't careless about the capable ones, just someone willing to have a good time. Hello?!?!??!?!?

And, contrary to popular belief, diversion for me does not require my companions' use of a Spanish-English dictionary. I can do anglophone stuff too. Really, I can! I sound like I'm whining. I guess I am at this point. I'm about to check the Washington Post Entertainment Guide. (See how desperate I'm getting.) So, please, let me know what's going on. Tell me about your friend's cousin's friend whose having a thing and that place over there. That'll get me started. LOL.

If I don't find something fun and relaxing (with company) I'm going to end up not being any good to anyone. Especially myself.

Suggestions?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, there is the Unforgettable Evening of Elegance, an Annual fundraiser for Delta Sigma Theta Sorority,Inc. Fort Washington Alumnae Chapter that will be held at Martin's Crosswinds, commencing with dinner at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, February 25, 2006. Ticket $65.00 It will prove to be a wonderful evening. (http://www.dstfwac.org/BallFlyer2006.pdf). Yes, that is a plug for my sorority/chapter. I am that bold.

But I remember last weekend you want an *inexpensive* activity. Hmmmm...I can't think of anything that does not involve food. This dang calorie watching has my brain. Ummmmm.... all I can think about with you is those dang little brownies you had!!! Arrggghhhh! I will have to come back after I eat these crackers...

Lex said...

OK, Kris, now there's a suggestion on the table. This seems like it would involve going shopping and with the ticket, that blows the budget. But I'm not ruling it out.

I have a $9.50 option for tonight. There's a Comedy Club in Laurel (I know, big entertainment district LOL!)

http://www.jokesonuscomedyclub.com/
I know nothing about the comedians, but it's a night of laughs (even if I'm laughing AT them) and it's cheap.

Any takers??? I need to buy the tix online.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I had to give in and get some meat...I will work it off later, I promise. On to business...

Comedy club sounds great! What time is it? If not too late I am game (I got to get up at 4:45 to get myself and Jai ready for the day)!! I have to check with my "unofficial" baby sitter and try to get one of my sisters to go with me so that I don't have to pay or drive and use my gas! LOL. I have 1.27 in checking and that ain't coming out!

Anonymous said...

Okay...I just checked the time...too late for Thursday! What about tomorrow at 830?

Lex said...

I don't know whose there tomorrow. I bought my ticket already for tonight. Yes, I know, Ms. Independent. If you're down for tomorrow, so am I. It's a diff. show, so let's do it.

anybody else? anybody down for tonight? If not, I'm flying solo. Call and check on me to make sure I get home tonight. LOL.

Lexi

Lex said...

who's not whose. sorry. that bugs me.

katrice said...

I've heard that the comedy club in Laurel is good. Big names come through there. Let me know. We're on recreational lock-down until after the move, (which commences tomorrow), and the recording next Friday.