Tuesday, December 05, 2006

More Holiday Stuff

I stole this from Confessions of a Geeky Blogger.. Since it's about my favorite subject at this most wonderful time of the year, I've decided to do my own.

Holiday MeMe
:

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? I like both of them to be around. They're just supposed to be there. But I really am not a fan of egg nog. It's too thick and sweet for me. If there's enough booze, I tolerate it, but I don't like drinks that go down thick. Same for hot chocolate. I need it to be the real kind that you use real cocoa powder in and cook on the stove...and again, not too thick and sweet. I'm much more a hot spiced cider chick...or hot buttered rum!!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? As a kid he just sat them under the tree, until we started to get older and the number of gifts dwindled tremendously. Then he started to wrap them to add some excitement I guess. When I play Santa, I always wrap. I LOVE wrapping presents.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Depends on my mood. I really love crazy bright colored lights, half flashing, one strand not, all confusing so that when you sit and look at the tree you have to try to figure out what's going to blink next (or not). I've tried to do the all white Target style tree....Yawn!!!

4. Do you hang mistletoe? I will this year! Hehe.

5. When do you put your decorations up? Ummm? When I buy them. I would have had them up by now if I had remembered to claim them in the separation, but since I'm starting from scratch...it'll go up this weekend.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Ambrosia. My family is the only one I know that makes it right. Must have nuts, must have marichino cherries, must not have marshmallows or canned mandarin oranges. Yuk!!

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Climbing into mom and dad's bed to wake them up and beg to go downstairs to see what Santa brought. I did this last when I was 24.

8.When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? *sigh* I never believed in Santa. But I'm trying to correct my waywardness in my adult years.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Nope. We did this once or twice, but I don't like it. Torn wrapping paper goes with jammies!!

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Color. Color. Color. I want a crazy tree this year. No theme stuffiness.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love It :)

12. Can you ice skate? Yep. Now, can I stop? Hmmm?

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Nope. I love gifts. Doesn't matter what. I'm easy to please.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Giving to the people I love.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Carrot cake and Thumbprints and chocolate chip cookies.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Sleigh bells that my uncle used to ring right before handing out gifts. This will be our second Christmas without him.

17. What tops your tree? Angel. She used to twinkle. Mommy said I would twinkle too if I had that big tree up my skirt. I never knew what she meant. I do now!! [wink wink]. Don't you just love her? I need to tell more Gerri stories here.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Giving ;) And not just at Christmastime either. Whaaat????

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? These are the Special Times. I prefer the Celine Dion version, but this is the one I found:


20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Yum!!! But the rainbow-cherry ones are the bestest.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We do Christmas very similarly. I just received this in my email but haven't answered the questions yet. I love Christmas, absolutely love it.

Anonymous said...

Your uncle was cool, and your parents sound well matched.

Anonymous said...

Jeez, I thought only caribbean people knew about boiling real cocoa/chocolate.

Gosh, haven't had that in years. I want my grandmother.

Anonymous said...

You do Christmas right!

Anonymous said...

Uncle was more than cool! He was grrrrrreeeeat! LOL. RIP. Sleigh bells ring, are you listening....

Lex said...

@ djn

I'm not surprised at all. Does Rocco get gifts? My dogs always did.

@ ~m~

Absolutely. Love them.

@ gela

Yep. I make mine from scratch. None of that add water and mix crap.

@ Debbie

Thanks. I love Christmas.

@ kmf

Yep. He sure was. I miss those bells. I can still hear him call out our names: Lexay!!

katrice said...

When I was a kid, Christmas meant going to Louisiana and spending it with the whole extended family.

When I got older and we started missing some years, we never knew how to do Christmas in Maryland.

One tradition Kwesi grew up with that I've been trying desperately to adopt: ham and hot, homemade, buttered bread for breakfast. Yum!! You knew it had to involve food.

Anonymous said...

My cocoa rocks.

I heat the milk mixture - I don't boil to avoid the skin, garnish with fresh whipped cream and Cadbury bar shavings.

I believe in Santa! (did you see that dude from the north?) I believe!

Anonymous said...

1. both! try putting egg nog in the hot cocoa!
2. Wrapping and bags w/ tissue!
3. Lights! Lots of lights...NOT BLINKING!!! They make me NUTS!
4. I hang a version of it...
5. day after Turkey day...
6. mmmm shrimp and parogees(sp)?
7. the year I saw daddy drink until the kitchen play set was finished! Learned all my 4 letter words that year!
8. WHAT?!?!? He's not really real?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOO....
9. YES just 1...
10. this year it's Pink and blue and silver...(my tree has blue balls! he he he he
11. snow??? IN PHX?!?!?! BAWAAAHHHAAAA!
12. YES! grew up pond skating...I can even twirl and do fancy jumps!
13. no favs...my piano and my drum set....oh my father loved that one.
14. Christmas time means people being friendly and nice. It means they "give" more than money can buy...I wish that would extend all year...~ahem congress~
15.Pecan Pie...followed by my great grandmothers fudge....
16. we all write on the table cloth and them my grandmother and I would embroider it befor the next year.
17. Old man winter
18. I'm a giver...alllll year baby!
19. My fav song to hear is God rest ye merry Gentelman...my favorite to sing is O holy night...My fav to play is a medely of the sleigh, jinglebells, Hark the Harold and Joy to the world...I do on the piano...
20. Cany canes are only good in Hot cocoa...unless I get the fun ones...Pina Colada...mmmmmmm~licks lips~

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Mmmm, you got me all whipped up!

1.I love good hot chocolate with real, homemade whipped cream. (I detect a theme developing.)
2. Wrapped. Beautifully.
3. I like both, but have only tiny white ones at the moment, including around the fireplace mantel.
4. Usually.
5. I like to do the tree on Christmas Eve.
6. I didn't grow up with any, but I love a yam and apple casserole I make.
7. I never climbed into my parents' bed, but my children always found their way to mine. I can't think of a holiday memory from childhood.
8. My brother was the messenger I couldn't shoot when I was three.
9. Christmas day.
10. I have some antique ornaments, and a lot of hand-crafted ones. I always overdo the tinsel.
11. Love it, but we don't get it here.
12. Yes. I need to find a rink. It's been awhile.
13. Anything from my husband and children is my favorite gift. And they all have fantastic taste besides.
14. Giving back to those I love.
15. zabaglione or chestnut mousse
16. My kids started the custom of giving each other a lot of joke presents along with the really great ones. We laugh a lot opening presents.
17. star. I also have several angels, but they're not tree-toppers.
18. giving, definitely.
19. Anything by Nat King Cole says Christmas to me.
20. I love candy canes, especially the small, skinny ones.

Anonymous said...

Your mom rocks!! I hope I twinkle this Christmas! *wink wink*
Love the list.. I'm gonna steal it. Well I am off to find a big old bell to start your uncle's tradition.. *sigh* still two whole weeks till I get to go home..

Anonymous said...

I like the way your Christmas sounds. Except for the seizure-inducing tree. It reminds me too much of my childhood!