Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Fiddling around in the Dark

I really need a life. I have spent my entire evening deleting and replacing elements of my template html to see what things do. I was tired of my blog looking like your standard Blogger 1 of 10, but I'm not satisfied yet.

I got rid of the Christmas balls in the header, but I can't figure out how to get a header I like better. All of the pre-fab ones I've found aren't wide enough. I don't have Photoshop, in which I understand you can easily make your own header, and I'm not willing to buy one. So this is what we have for the moment.

I can't figure out how to make the hunter green go away. So, we're stuck with that for now too. I kinda like the mayhem.

I am such a freaking dork.

As much as I claim I need a life, I quite enjoyed myself this evening. This has been fun. I don't know what I've learned except that I'm not nearly as afraid to FUBAR my blog as I thought I was. I took huge risks tonight. You can't imagine. When I say I had NO idea what I was doing...I mean NO idea.

I even created an account on del.icio.us. Can I tell you have haven't the foggiest idea what that is. I thought it would give me free blog headers since I got to it via my google search for "headers blogger". Maybe someone can explain it to me. And while you're at it, tell me about technorati. I signed up for that to, but my little button never appeared and I've actually forgotten all about it until this moment.

I think this is my learning style: fiddling around in the dark until I find the light switch.

17 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Wow! I am so impressed.

I have one of the 10 or so standard templates, as you've surely noticed. I know almost nothing about html, so I am in awe of you.

And it looks good!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

That was me, Heart in San Francisco. Speak of operating difficulties. I can't even clear up this problem in which Google has my email address confused with my user ID.

Anonymous said...

That's how I learn too. I've given up on updating my template as I have too much crap in my sidebar to copy and paste.

Andy said...

Good job, Lexi! I'm wondering if this post was a public plea for techie help from your favorite nerd. :-)

I can help you with your header, the hunter green stuff you don't like, del.icio.us, and technorati questions.

Sounds like we need to have a chat and talk a little geekspeak. It's my way of whispering sweet nothings.

Tanique said...

When you figure it out, you can teach me that along with Bid Whist.

Lex said...

@ Flusy

Hey, Honey!! I thought you got lost in the shoe section of Nordstrom.

Thanks. I'm trying to something new for the new year.

@ Debbie

Ha! I'm getting to that point too. It's been a week since I switched to the new blogger and I just realized last night that I needed to hunt down my sitemeter and put it back.

@ Andy

Ah, my Knight in Shining Armor to the rescue! It wasn't a public plea--remember, I've learned to just ask if I want something from you....I just can't catch you online anymore. LOL.

@ Tanique

Sho' 'nuf!

SBW in MD said...

I was willing to learn bidwhist until you came up with that ridiculously healthy no smoking rule -- I mean really, how long could you possibly need those lungs anyway?? I have no idea what FUBAR is, but I really need someone to teach me how to make a word a link to a web page!

Lex said...

@ let's pretend

F*cked
Up
Beyond
All
Recognition

Call me. I'll talk you through the highly complicated link button.

Christina_the_wench said...

Loving the new look. Change is good. HTML is not easy to learn.

djn said...

Lex, if only I could be as brave as you... I've been wanting to change things up a bit but I'm too afraid. Perhaps I will this weekend since the temps will only be in the single digits.

jali said...

Pretty in pink, baby.

katrice said...

Look at you! This is how I've learned the tiny bit I know too. Just taking a risk. With me, it won't happen often.

I like the new look.

Crankster said...

The minimal HTML work that I've done on my blog makes me feel like a total god. I'm glad you're getting the same feeling!

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of doing a web-design course just to navigate the more technical aspects of keeping a blog.

I like technorati. I had it when I was on blogspot but for some reason it doesn't work on wordpress. so if any of your geek-spert can help........

Don't worry I'm a dork too.

Lee said...

Very funny! I totally relate. I've got all kinds of stuff in my side bar...I kinda remember putting it there...but don't know why and don't what they do. alos I have lost all the sign in info for all those things. I guess I should just remove them...but somehow I think all those buttons make me look savvy.

Gee whiz...I am a total dork too! Nice to meet you!

CP said...

Hey darlin'!

Don't know delish, because I was never interested in learning it, but I DO know HTML and can help you to change the color of that template. I kind of like the hunter green with the burgandy and light green. I think it looks classy.

As for Technorati, you have to embed the code into your template sidebar. It doesn't just appear.

You are so totally cute! *L*

If you need/want help...just email me at certifiableprincessAT yahooDOT com.

Be happy to teach you!
CP.

Kiyotoe said...

you sound like me, but you had the courage to mess with that stuff. Either I'm too lazy to learn how to do all that stuff, or I'm too arrogant to risk losing anything I already have in place....

let's go with door #2.