Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Clothing Conundrum

I SO need a makeover. I need someone to ambush me on the street and say, "Hell NO!! This is not working."

I used to be such a cute dresser. Never mind that I was a cute little size 6 at the time, and mom was paying for my clothing habit. Fat and poverty has gotten in my way worse than you can imagine. I am not one of those people who can "get by" on bargain stuff. I have champagne taste and Pabst Blue Ribbon pockets. I'm not high maintence, I just don't look good in clothes that aren't quality clothes. Which means that I haven't looked good in a long, long time.

I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel about this poverty issue. I have 2 job offers on the table...well, one and a half. Either job will make a significant impact on my financial situation. I wasn't looking for this. I didn't apply for either job, yet here they are. It's one of those things where life lets you know it's time to make a move. You know, when the pieces never would have come together had you forced them. I feel like a sigh of relief is just around the corner. But, I'm so used to being broke, I don't know how to think any other way.

I have a dinner for work Thursday night. I need to shop for something to wear. Now, granted I'm not in my new tax bracket just yet, but I'm conflicted about what I should buy. My head says: clearance rack, Marshall's, Sears (clearance rack). My splurger says: OK, Macy's clearance rack or Ann Taylor Loft clearance rack. My fat ass says: Buy a quality outfit that fits you well and looks nice! I don't speak that third language just yet. I need to buy a book.

So, here's my pitch. SIGN me up for What Not to Wear!! We can start with my black jeans. I will gladly throw away every stitch of clothing I own to start over and look like a professional. I wear jeans and flip flops to work everyday. I keep a suit on the door in case I need it. I own 2 suits that fit me. I need some serious wardrobe help. I need a stylist. I need a makeover.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey, I need what-not-to-wear and someone to organize me. I'm at that stage where everything I like is either too young for me and everything in my area of the store is looks like I'm trying to dress like my great-grandma. It's sad!

katrice said...

I'm no help. I have never been a cute dresser. I have one cute springtime outfit that I'm waiting to wear and YOU bought it!

When you learn the fine art of paying full price for your clothes, maybe you can teach me.

KMF said...

I signed you up yesterday!!!

Lex said...

@ Tanilan

e-mail me, girl. I'll nominate you if you nominate me!

@ Katrice

You are always cute. And it's easy to shop for little cute people.

@ KMF

Yay!!! Thanks so much!!!! Watch for me. I'm gonna be a STAR!!!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Congratulations on the job offers!! You deserve more and more and more of all good things..

If you are going to spend too much on an outfit, buy something that is fairly classic (but a little edgy) that can be worn for several kinds of occasion and if possible, with different things to change the look. Maybe a great pair of pants and a jacket that can be varied with different tops, shoes, bags, scarves, etc.

You will fabulous, dahling. Just smashing.

I can't compromise with quality either, so I don't have a lot of clothes but like most of the ones I have.

Anonymous said...

Wow Lex, congrats. Job offers without even applying. I'm impressed. Means someone(s) think/s you're doing a great job. You go girl.

RJ said...

This post made me laugh. I haven't shopped for anything 'nice' for quite a while. I'd love some new jeans but I want to lose some weight off the old rump first. These days you'll normally find me sporting a baggy t-shirt and cargo pants (the only comfie pants I own)

*sighz*

Where do I sign up?? LOL