Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Self-Hatred

I have been thinking about self-hatred a lot for a few weeks and I’d love to hear your thoughts about it. If you’ve been following this blog at all you can imagine that my musings have stemmed from the dialogue generated by my post Brothers (in the other sense of the word) in which I kick around the idea of inter-racial dating.

The comments evoked by that post have really caused me to want to dig deeper into an examination of my perspectives on race on tons of levels. And, there seems to be no more logical place to start than an examination of my thoughts about my own. Let me give you some background.

By any reasonable persons phenotypic assessment of me, I am Black. Call me African-American if you like, but that’s where things start to get problematic for me. I contain healthy doses of Black, Irish and Native American. And while I can give you the names of my Irish and Native American ancestors, I’d have a far tougher time distilling out the “pure” Blacks, or Africans, “pure” African Americans (if ever there were an oxymoron). I’ve always been frustrated by that term because it says so little about who we really are as a people, or better yet as peoples, and still there are so many stereotypes that resonate with its utterance. I prefer Black. That's me.

Despite anyone else’s assessment of me, I can honestly say that I am at a place in my life where I love me. I believe I am beautiful. I wouldn’t trade my hips, hair, breasts, lips, thighs or nose for anyone’s (though I am committed to shedding these pounds I’ve packed on over the last few years….another post all together). I love being a Black woman. I love the rhythm of our music, the soul in our essence, the bond that makes the only two Black people in a room talk to each other like they’ve grown up together. I love our beauty, our diversity, our tremendous determination to survive…and more than survive, to thrive. I love that Black female preemies have the highest survival rate of any premature babies. We’re fighters. We’re survivors. And I love that.

I hate that there are aspects of our history and of our very real present that have forced us into survival mode. I fear that much our potential as a people and as individuals has been squandered because we’ve learned to live in survival mode and we think it’s normal, we think it’s all there is. I hate seeing our people living life on the defensive, carrying chips on our shoulders that weigh us down, hold us back. I grieve for those of us who have no other option than survival. I am frustrated with those who choose not to exhaust all available options to thrive.

And it’s precisely this frustration that has me thinking about self-hatred. So, I looked it up and here’s what I found. The quote is from Wikipedia, “the encyclopedia anyone can edit”. But I thought, what better definition than the one that resonates with the culture. Here’s what I found. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

You may be visiting this blog and identify as something other than Black. Please don’t hesitate to post your comments. You are safe here. Your voice is welcome.

Self-hatred literally refers to an extreme dislike of oneself, or being angry at oneself. The term is also used to designate a dislike or hatred of a group to which one belongs. For instance, 'ethnic self-hatred' is the extreme dislike of one's ethnic group. Accusations of self-hatred are often used as an ad hominem attack.

The term 'self-hatred' is used infrequently by psychologists and psychiatrists, who would usually describe people who hate themselves as 'persons with low self-esteem'. Some people think that self-hatred and shame are important factors in some or many mental disorders, especially disorders that involve a perceived defect of oneself (e.g. body dysmorphic disorder). "Ethnic self-hatred" is considered by some people as being a cultural issue, to which psychological theories have limited relevance.

Black self-hatred
Black self-hatred is generally defined as a Black person who hates his Black racial identity and may try to distance himself from this identity. Like Jewish self-hate, there is some disagreement as to what it means to be Black. Some Black people feel that those who demonstrate a preference for clothing styles, music choices, etc. that have been predominantly associated with white culture are self-hating. Thus for them being Black is more just one’s skin color. Some, such as journalist John Carlson, have suggested that gangsta rap is a form of Black Self-hatred. In his view, when Black rappers portray Black women as "bitches" and "whores" and Black men as "worthy of respect only in relation to their capacity to kill or maim others" they are essentially expressing a form of self-hate with basically buying into and propagating, through their music, racist stereotypes about Black people. This term has been used by Black supremacist groups to defend racism.
Black self hatred can show itself in the form of embarassment or shame in those things that are culturally identified with African heritage. It is ingrained in subtle ways from childhood. A person becomes reluctant to share or perpetuate activities or traditions that have in the past cause them pain. They come to hate those things and in extention themselves.

What do you guys think? What is self-hatred? What does it look like in any form? How easy is it to spot in others? In ourselves?

Les deseo Self-Love!

Lexi

5 comments:

katrice said...

Okay, Alexis and I just had the following conversation about this entry. Maybe this will add some fuel to the fire for you...

katrice0321: Wow... I need to think before I respond to the Self-Hatred blog.
alexis_dickens: take your time.
katrice0321: Okay. This is something I have never thought about and I'm sure there's some feeling I have about it.
alexis_dickens: like i said. take your time. a line in Kwesi's poem really compelled me to post what i've been thinking about for a while. He said to reject a man by the color of his skin is racism.
alexis_dickens: can you be racist against your own race?
alexis_dickens: i doubt it...so what's left?
katrice0321: I don't know. I think you can be racist against your own race.
katrice0321: Racist is a broad term for me.
alexis_dickens: but if you are racist against your own race, aren't your racist against yourself...therefore, self-hatred?
katrice0321: Yes.
katrice0321: And both can be present at once.
alexis_dickens: ok. i'll wait
katrice0321: okay, cuz I need to think
katrice0321: Kwesi thinks I'm a racist.
katrice0321: I always deny it, but I need to really examine my thoughts.
alexis_dickens: ok.
alexis_dickens: towards others or us?
katrice0321: Could the fact that I automatically assume all white people hate me until they prove otherwise be racist on my part?
katrice0321: Toward others, definitely.
alexis_dickens: possibly.
alexis_dickens: i want to explore black racism in another post.
katrice0321: My feelings toward us vary. I am probably more likely guilty of excessive self-love, but does the concept exist? I think absolutely so.
katrice0321: But black people can have an awful tendency to drive me nuts though.
katrice0321: I hate to hear loud people in public places and see women with their hair in rollers walking to the store in house shoes.
katrice0321: But I ascribe this to a ghetto few, so I don't think that's racist.
alexis_dickens: i think we have to be able to distill out where self begins and ends...
katrice0321: and where hate begins and ends
alexis_dickens: part of the SH argument is that to hate others "like" you is to hate yourself.
alexis_dickens: now we'd never wear rollers in public, but is there any self represented in what we reject?
katrice0321: hmmm.... See this is my dilemma. When does it become hate, and when does it become race-based hate.
katrice0321: I could hate to see people in rollers because I think it's uncouth and someone else could hate to see it because they think that's one thing wrong with "those black people."
alexis_dickens: if you see a white woman in rollers does it produce shame? what about a black woman? what's the difference?
katrice0321: Exactly. I hate to see anybody do it. But I feel invested in it when it's one of us.
alexis_dickens: right
katrice0321: For the same reason I feel shame when fellow Christians meet you in the store and break out in lou tongues in the middle of telling you how they've been.
katrice0321: *loud
alexis_dickens: exactly. let's add Christian to the Self-hatred discussion.
katrice0321: It embarrasses me because we wear the same name.
alexis_dickens: Save this IM and post it!
katrice0321: LOL!
katrice0321: I will.

Anonymous said...

Racism can be turned towards your own race. Intra-racism is another term used. It is seen as a form of self-hatred. Feeling as if a white person has to prove themselves to you does not mean you are racist, but you may not help the fight to end racism. There are degrees of racism or "cultural competence", if you will. Those who help perpetuate it, those who avoid it and those who fight it. There are two others I can't think of.

Self hatred is so broad. Race or ethnicity is only one of so many things a person can despise. Does dating outside of your race equal self-hatred? Hardly; unless pre-meditated. If you purposely do not date a person because they are Black and only because they are Black then yes, you are looking at self hatred. But if you do not date a Black man because of past trauma from another Black man then you are looking at something entirely different.

If you do not want to be asociated with anything that may lead some one to associate you with Black people or being Black then you may be suffering from self-hatred. Or maybe you have ben deprived of your cultural heritage and simply do not know Black American traditions. There are som many what ifs and possible situations. Can you readily look for and identify self hatred in an individual? Would you say a female with relaxed hair is suffering from a form of self hatred? A person who wears their foundation a shade or two too light? A person who refuses to use or respond to any black southern dialect?

I do think the definitions are accurate except for the rap issue. I do not agree that gansta rap is self hatred. Negative, albeit, but I would not agree with it being self hatred.

Unknown said...

Pardon me, this may seem a bit impolite but I am made to tire. Self-Hatred! Racism! This all seems so ignorant to me. Racism is defined as follows; prejudice or animosity against people who belong to other races. Self-Hatred is defined as follows, hatred or contempt for your own weaknesses or innate characteristics such as ethnicity or race. Do you know how race is defined? It’s defined as follows; any one of the groups into which the world’s population can be divided on the basis of physical characteristics such as skin or hair color. Okay so all of this bunk over hair and skin.

The beginning of racism is the defining of one based on one’s hair, skin or the slant in one’s eyes. If we really want to deal with racism we must stop defining people this way.

I think not being able to see a person beyond their skin and the color of their hair is self hatred. I think the inability or refusal to forgive others who have messed up just like we have (based on the skin color groupings) is self hatred. I think to define me based on the color of my skin is hatred, hated of me and hatred of the one race that God created, human. When does it end? When do we stop aligning ourselves with the skin of other people and do the hard work of getting to know people? We are to darn lazy!

Heck! If you think you can know me based on my skin or my size or my hair, please! How can you not identify with all the skin groupings? Here’s a bigger problem, if you don’t love all the skin groupings, all the hair groupings, all the size groupings, all the skill groupings, you can’t love God. Does that then mean that self hatred is equal to God Hatred? Answer that.

katrice said...

Struck a nerve, did we? lol

In an ideal world, love would have no color, right?

The only problem is, we don't live in an ideal world. But failing to change contributes to the broken state of the universe.

So the question becomes, when do we each begin to contribute to changing this flawed society we live in by changing our own views? I, for one, have to learn to give all God's children the benefit of the doubt.

Lex said...

OK, now we're talking!!

Anonymous, thanks for your insight. One of your definitions is the one that resonates the most with me:

"If you do not want to be asociated with anything that may lead some one to associate you with Black people or being Black then you may be suffering from self-hatred".

It's this blanket rejection that is rooted in shame that seems to be what makes the most sense to me when we talk about this. We are all annoyed and disgusted by people all the time and just because they happen to be the same race as us does not, for me, constitute self-hatred.

When I was sharing the piece I decided not to post about black men (re: Great Guys post)I was really struggling with this topic. I think I've concluded that there's nothing wrong with me being upset with ignorance and stupidity. Speaking of which, I watched about 15 miniutes of Baby Boy this weekend. I couldn't handle it. I was SO disgusted. Is that self-hatred? I don't think so.

Hey Kwesi, thanks for sharing! LMBO!!

Race does not exist biologically. NIH has spent tons of billions of dollars on the Human Genome Project and when it comes to race, there is not a single gene that exists solely in one "race" to the exclusion of the others and people are often more genetically similar to people from another race than individuals of the same race. We made this mess up!!

I agree. It's all about phenotype (what somebody looks like) and a society that gets to exalt preferences. The "preferred" becomes the norm and thus the standard and all deviations become pejorative. It's the same with language, but THAT's another post too. (ie, who get's to say that the King's English is standard and not ebonics, or Spanish Spanish as opposed to Chilean Spanish). It's a matter of preferences. But the truth is that preferences matter. Ebonics is not going to get you a job, neither will wearing rollers and house shoes to the interview.

I feel the challenge to see people as people. But it's hard. We are not colorblind. We were not socialized to be. It's much easier said than done.