Friday, August 18, 2006

Strictly Business


This morning I am kind of shaking my head trying to figure out what in the world just happened. Here's why:

I've been talking a lot about not making the most of my skills and about needing to make more money. I've been saying this for years and have gotten more suggestions that I wanted to start my own business. Well, I've always held that I lack the business sense and salesmanship to do that. Well, today I'm a business owner guys. It happened so fast I'm still kind of in a fog.

The long and short of it is that the business I dreamed of in college is actually now a reality, with real life clients and contracts and all. I came up with the name when I was 18 or 19. It's actually available in MD. The Language EXchange, Inc. Get it? LEXI (hahahah!) OK, shut up. I know it's corny, but I just got my first client, so there! [sticks out tongue] The client's a restaurant owner who wants ESL classes for the staff of his 4 restaurants. Other services offered by The Language Exchange are translation and interpretation services and group or individual Spanish lessons. This first contract is so huge, I need to start interviewing for another instructor, and classes haven't even started!

Let me say that I can't take any credit for this all coming together. My business partner is a friend from high school who I just happened to "run" into on myspace. His expertise is marketing and he got me this first contract and the subsequent ones he's already working on. Thanks, Shelby.

I'm a little dazed right now. I've always been terrified to freelance. I'm not that much of a risk-taker. And, I'm not used to success and things coming together like this. I'm such a pessimist. I think my overwhelming sentiment right now (more than HOW is this happening to me) is, "WHY is this happening to me?"

So many unexpected pieces of "the life I'd love to live" are falling into place right now and I don't know what to do with it? I know I'm crazy, but it's hard to just go with it. I have this message taped to my laptop, and I read it every day:

Believe it: You have all the ingredients for success well within your grasp. It's time to reevaluate your goals and what you can do to reach them. You're about to embark on a whole new cycle of success.
I taped that to my computer about 3 weeks ago. Why is it so hard for me to believe in myself and to expect to succeed? I really am a whack job, huh?

7 comments:

katrice said...

Why is this happening to you?

Because despite the fact that you swear you're going straight to Hell in a handbasket, you're God's daughter and He cares enough about what concerns you to make things happen for you.

Just guessing...

You like to think that you're so unworthy. You'll learn that you're worth caring for sooner or later.

Unknown said...

Refer to the seven hour question and the answer finally rendered. By the way isn't there a pending post and discussion about that? Sounds like to me you were living at the end of your rope, see my post... Funny how when we reach to the place where we finallt say ok God, I can't do this. He sweeps in an before you know it LEXI has been born..

Andy said...

Wow... CONGRATS, Ms. Business Owner! This sounds very cool! Just keep your eyes on the prize and you'll surely do well. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Unknown said...

FANTASTIC. I understand the questions you ask because I constantly ask myself if it is the fear of success or failure that holds me back. I do believe that everything is sweetened by risk and that it is a case of DREAM IT - CREATE IT. I love the name, I am so happy for you and I wish you every success. The amazing part is that you will be making a HUGE contribution to people's lives in such a positive way. Please take some credit for making this all happen, as grateful to your friend as you are. (There really are no coincidences.) Look forward to reading of your ongoing success. :o)

Gela said...

That's great Lex! I love the name. You go girl. See we all need people in our lives to push us towards the success sometimes. Big UP!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Look in the mirror....what do you see? A beautiful, intelligent, successful woman who is coming into her own. A la Martin-You go girl!

ardentgailla said...

Damn Straight! Yeah!

I don't know how many times i've told you that i love you. You are an amazing person and i really hope you get to see the extent of your amazing-ness. And yes...God loves you, too (and He thinks you're amazing) Now it's time for you to see it (it better be the time for you to see it!)

Anyway...I'm really proud of you. You keep on growing and learning and even teaching others. Yeeeehaaaawww!