Monday, September 25, 2006

I love you, love you, love you -- Only if you let me, let me, let me

All this secrets stuff is bringing memories out of the woodwork. Andy's mention of a cassette tape in his secrets meme made me think of an old boyfriend who once made a tape for me when I was 14.

I'll just call him K.C. so that I don't wreck his M.C. career. Below are the lyrics of a rap he recorded for me. He was a DJ, so the recording was pretty sophisticated, mixed with background vocals and everything--all from the comforts of his bedroom studio, on a ZZ Top tape that he over-dubbed by taping the holes on the top of the cassette.

Let me give you some background. I must have written him a letter or something telling him off and referencing Deniece Williams' song, Silly:

Silly Of me to think that I could ever have you for my guy
How I love you... how I want you...
Silly of me to think that you could ever really want me too
How I love you...

Chorus:

You're just a lover out to score
I know that I should be looking for more
What could it be in you I see
What could it be...

Oh, Love, oh, love, stop making a fool of me
Oh, Love, oh, love, stop making a fool of me



This was his response. He alludes to the song in his text. I need you to hear a moderate laid back beat, reminiscient of a cool stroll as you read this:

Sittin’ here in my room, thinking of the time

I would hold you in my arms when you were mine

The memory is a happy one, it makes me smile

I think about you every day, not once in a while

You seem to think I was cheatin’ on you all of the time

But little did you know that you were all mine

No Alexis, I’m not a lover out to score

And I’ve never met anyone like you before

You do seem to think I love you

But really I do

Girl, it wasn’t silly of you

Because…

Chorus

I love you, love you, love you

Only if you let me, let me, let me

I love you, love you, love you

Try not to forget me, -get me, -get me


Oh, Lordy, Lordy, Lordy. This cracks me up everytime I sing it. I wonder what he's doing now?

Jesus! Did I mention I was 14?

This is why I don't have children!

3 comments:

katrice said...

Wow! He could rhyme! So many rappers get all messed up because they just can't rhyme. It's a key skill, dontcha think?

Young love... (sigh)

Anonymous said...

He had skills at least.

Gela said...

When you read my meme and see what I was doing at 8, you'll definitely not have children.